*will not be offered for 2018/19 cohort onwards; interested students may consider taking BEng in IEEM (Logistics Management Area)
With the rapid expansion of information systems and e-commerce in both the public and private sectors, demand for value-added logistics professionals is tremendous. Our program seeks to provide students with both engineering and business management contexts for logistics activities, training a new generation of engineers for both managerial and technical positions who can answer the needs of today’s global economy.
HKUST is the first University in Hong Kong offering bachelor's degree in logistics management. BEng IELM students learn strategic, mathematical and economic principles of the movement of materials, information and money through the whole distribution network, from suppliers to end-users. Their knowledge and skills are highly valued by companies in the industry.
- An ability to apply mathematics and engineering knowledge to scientifically optimize the logistics operations of a business
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data to improve business and service operations
- An ability to design a system or process to meet desired business objectives within realistic constraints, such as economic, social, ethical, health and safety, operation and sustainability
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams to enhance a logistics operation
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve logistics and supply chain problems
- An understanding of professional, safety and ethical responsibility in today’s competitive world
- An ability to understand the people-related issues of a logistics operation
- An ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- An ability to understand the impact of operations research in a global and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and ability to, engage in life-long learning
- An ability to stay abreast of contemporary issues concerning logistics and their associated supply-chains
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for developing engineering solutions to optimize a logistics operation
- An ability to use the computer/IT tools to generate engineering solutions to manage a logistics operation with an understanding of the processes involved and their limitations
- an ability to program
- an ability to systematically analyze problems and solve them with computer
Undergraduate Program Educational Objectives of IEDA Department
- To equip and develop students’ managerial and technical skills as well as gain a broad foundation in the areas of industrial engineering and engineering management
- To equip students with problem solving skills to improve the productivity of a business
- To equip students with the IT skills to analyze and manage information efficiently for a business operation
- To equip students with ability to conduct product and/or service development from design to market with special emphasis on the people aspects of idea generation, logistics, quality and safety management
- To educate our students to meet the ABET criteria* 3f-3j outcomes via department, school and university level programs.
- Students - To give all students, undergraduate and postgraduate alike, a broadly based university experience that includes: superior training in their chosen fields of study; a well-rounded education that enhances the development of their creativity, critical thinking, global outlook, and cultural awareness; a campus life that prepares them to be community leaders and lifelong learners
- Faculty and Staff - To provide a dynamic and supportive working environment in which faculty and staff may continually develop intellectually and professionally
- Research - To be a leading institution for research and postgraduate study, pursuing knowledge in both fundamental and applied areas, and collaborating closely with business and industry in promoting technological innovation and economic development
- Campus Culture- To provide an open environment and atmosphere conducive to the exchange of knowledge, views, and innovative ideas among students, faculty, staff, and visiting scholars
- Commitment to Hong Kong- To promote and assist in Hong Kong's economic and social development, and to enrich Hong Kong's culture
BEng in IELM is accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) in both Logistics & Transportation and Manufacturing & Industrial disciplines, as well as the Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport in Hong Kong (CILTHK), enabling graduates to become professional engineers recognized internationally.
Our graduates are professional engineers who take up supervisory and managerial roles in container and air cargo terminals, airlines, international express delivery enterprises, freight forwarders, shipping companies, global manufacturers, consulting firms, trading companies, wholesalers and retailers. Examples of these companies are HK Disneyland, Procter & Gamble, Hutchison Port Holdings, Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals Limited (Hactl), Cathay Pacific Airways, DHL, FedEx Express, UPS World Wide Logistics, Schenker International, Maersk Line, OOCL, Dell Computer, Hewlett Packard, Citibank, Accenture, JOS and Dairy Farm.
Students may also continue their studies for Master of Science (MSc), Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees in local and overseas universities.
Employment Statistics - Distribution of Graduates by Job Nature (2018)
Source: Graduate Employment Survey 2018, Career Center, HKUST
This program is no longer recruiting students. Interested students may consider taking BEng in IEEM (Logistics Management Area).
In addition to the major, students may enhance their knowledge in some areas by choosing the following options: